Monday, January 19, 2009

I'm a Loser

Because my team was creamed in bar trivia last night. Because my snow boots seem to be letting in water just when I need them most. Because I'm at work on MLK Day and left my husband at home still sleeping soundly. Because I'm too lazy to make the coffee I need to overcome the laziness. For all these reasons and more, "I'm a Loser" today, okay?

Perhaps "I'm a Loser" live in Paris. That does sound a bit more fun, doesn't it?



This one's generally considered the first song or so in what John later called his "Dylan period," in which he tried to write songs that felt more personal and less obsessed with teeny-bopper romantic intrigue. The lyrics show that he can't get completely away from that story line, though, since the "loss" is that of a chick. Still, compared to what came before, this is a turn inward, one we'll see again with future songs like "Help!" and "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away." John later professed that songs like this were more heartfelt than anyone, perhaps even himself, knew at the time, and that in fact his own feelings of loser-ness were always with him. Which is super-relatable.

The Dylan-esque feel comes through in the more acoustic sound here, too, with John on acoustic rhythm guitar and harmonica. The beat sounds more country than anything else, though; in fact, it's one of the most country-sounding Beatles originals I can think of. What I love most is that out-of-time introduction, where John's hurting so bad he's just gotta say it a second time. It's kind of melodramatic and awesome.

The song is a good head-bopping time. "I'm a Loser," but this is a beat I can dance to! Yes, let's all dance and cry and wail, because tomorrow we will probably still be losers. Happy Monday!

"I'm a Loser," released in the U.K. side A track 2 of Beatles for Sale, December 4, 1964; in the U.S., side A track 2 of Beatles '65, December 15, 1964.
I am indebted for all discography information to the tremendous Beatles-Discography.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment